This is the story of Nama Illo, a local man with HIV.
In this 3:30-minute (yes, long!) narrative-style video, I incorporate the following storytelling elements:
* An audio recording of Illo reciting something he wrote
* Six videos of his various performances
* Seven photo stills of him
* Nine pieces of his artwork
* CG pull quotes
* The music of one of his performances
The challenges of making this video:
* Downloading his performances from Youtube and transferring them into files I could use in iMovie
* Staying patient enough to put so many puzzle pieces together (via a lot of trial and error, because I'm still learning iMovie)
* Trying to keep up the storytelling momentum of a video that is significantly longer than standard news videos
* Telling his story without using my voice, paraphrasing or summaries
* Figuring out how to express a complex topic, including explaining the fact that all of these very different costumes are the same person
This video will run on our website alongside a Q&A with him tomorrow, so it is not just an isolated video, although I hope I made it strong enough to stand alone, too.
I'd love your feedback on what I could have done better so I can continue to push the definition of features reporting.