Monday, March 11, 2013

Behind the scenes of the Second Story Garage: A horizontally scrolling interactive photo

Lately, I have been trying to pay attention to innovative things other journalists are doing, and I didn't need to look far. Right in my own newsroom, we have created a high-quality, live recording studio.

As in sometimes when I'm on deadline writing my articles, a big group of musicians with dreadlocks walks past with their drumsets and guitars and begins jamming out a short distance from my desk.

It's a unique setup, for sure, especially to pull something this top-notch off with very limited resources (time and money are hilariously foreign concepts in the modern newsroom).

I was dying to learn how the crew puts it all together, so I sat down with Duncan Taylor, page designer by day, audio engineer/production genius by, well, day, also. I asked him to show me behind the scenes of the Second Story Garage and offer other newsrooms tips on how they could possibly do something like this, too.

I put it all together in a fun horizontally scrolling interactive page, complete with a 4 1/2-minute long video. I know -- that's like documentary length for a newspaper's website, but I think it's worth it.

I hope you enjoy.

Click here to visit the interactive page. 
Click on the screen shot below to enlarge it.


No comments:

Post a Comment