Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Using Thinglink interactive graphics to tease a front page

We've been playing with Thinglink more, to see if it might be a way to drive traffic from social media sites to our website.

What do you think?

Here is an interactive front page teaser from the Colorado Daily, made by editor Jenn Fields.
Here's a link to the other Colorado Daily Thinglinks.

I talked to Jenn about her experience with Thinglink front pages. Here's how it went down:


How long did you take to put one together?
It's quick -- maybe 10 minutes. Maybe 12 if someone distracts me with Internet cats. Basically, it's fast enough that I feel like there's no reason not to give it a whirl.

Do you think you will add videos/photos, too, or not? 
Since it's the cover and we're referencing cover stories, the links have thumbnails. I hadn't considered adding videos, but if a cover story has video, why not?

Have you see these interactive graphics drive any measurable traffic back to your site? Can you measure how many clicks they get? 
Well, I just started doing this on Friday, so I'm afraid we don't have much to measure at this point. I haven't seen a difference in site stats yet. I'm also still tinkering with how we can get it out there -- Facebook? Embedding it on our site? If I embed it on our site and then post a link to our site, it's not interactive within Facebook; if I post the Thinglink URL on Facebook, it's interactive there. I've tweeted it and pinned it, too. We'll see what happens, and in the meantime, it's a fun tool to play with. 

What do you think?



1 comment:

  1. Teacher can use classmint.com for interactive graphics to tease a front page. lassmint provide image, textand audion annotation tools for this. It gives teachers and students a new interactive way of learning.Creative and interactive lessons can flip classroom with fun.For more infromation , chekout classmint.com.

    ReplyDelete